Monday, December 8, 2008

Who Is This Guy?

It's kinda' funny to me that with all the focus on a new President that we've sort of forgotten about the current one. We know so much about Obama that it is insane to imagine how transparent he appears to us all. For instance, he's been on the covers of People, Time, Ebony, and even the internet gossip pages and tabloids. We even know what's in his Ipod for goodness sake.

While watching a Bush interview on "Nightline" this evening on the topic of religion, I thought to myself, "Who is this guy?" He appeared somewhat vulnerable, humbled, and approachable. In the interview he revealed that he believes that Jesus Christ is not the only way to salvation. How can that be? He heavily appealed to the emotions of so many Christians while campaigning. Would he have won their votes, if they knew this revelation? Though, I don't agree that their are multiple ways to salvation through all faiths, I do believe that George Bush is misunderstood. I see a man, struggling with a failing legacy as President, seeking redemption and relief; that's apparent. However, I believe he's remorseful, apologetic, and his failures weigh heavily on his heart. I'm not big on conspiracy theories- especially those that try to dissect his political decision-making. I choose to stay objective and informed, rather than jaded. The Bush I saw this evening was so unlike any Bush I had seen before- he was sincere. It's because he was sincere in this interview, that caused me to halt and look again.

I don't think the American people will ever fully understand who he is or what it is that he was trying to achieve in his administration. As the interview pointed out, no matter who you ask, you'll get mixed reviews on Bush. All along, I think it's true that we've been fed so many untruths from those witin his administration that we won't know what is truly relevant. Moreover, I believe George Bush did his absolute best! However, the facts demonstrate that it wasn't good enough. Poor advice and rash decision-making have created a difficult situation for us all.

He alone is not to blame for the state that we are in...he was elected by the people. I can't speak for every American, but if I could, I would say, "Americans want to believe in their President and have no choice but to believe in change."

No comments: